Monday, September 10, 2012

Tired, Stressed, Fatigued? Try some Polarity Tea!


I was recently made painfully aware of the cumulative effects of a consistent lack of sleep, chronic stress, regular coffee drinking, partying, and poor eating habits throughout the craziness of this summer. I was downtown running errands with my boyfriend, feeling great about life and all of my plans for the weekend. Things seemed fine, but then for no apparent reason, my mood shifted and I suddenly felt anxious, depressed, irritated, overwhelmed by all of my social obligations, unable to make decisions, and my self-confidence plummeted.

My boyfriend lovingly reminded me that this happens quite often, and with a predictable pattern - when I neglect to eat regularly. I was told by my nutritionist several years ago that I have hypoglycemia, but I've become a little slack about eating 6 smaller meals a day and making sure to get adequate protein as she recommended. I'm also over-caffeinated and not taking the time to meditate and do stress-relieving activities. Then I go 3,  4, 5, sometimes up to 7 hours between meals because of my hectic lifestyle. That's when the anxiety comes in, and shakiness, headaches, impatience, nausea, and confusion. Sometimes I'm so out of it that I stand in front of my cupboards unable to eat to anything because I can't think clearly enough to know what to eat!  That's when it's really bad.

So, with this reminder of my hypoglycemic tendencies, and in general feeling like I need to improve my ability to handle stress, I decided it's time to get back on the hypoglycemic meal plan and to improve my adrenal gland function. The first thing I thought of was Polarity Tea, an adaptogenic (helps the body respond to stress) Ayurvedic tea made of equal parts licorice root, fennel seed, fenugreek seed, and two parts flax seed. It helps reduce fatigue, stress, liver or gallbladder problems, and allergies. It's also soothing to the digestive and respiratory tracts and is useful for improving digestion and aiding in detoxification. The tea is stimulating and also has a mild laxative effect. The original recipe comes from the work of Dr. Randolph Stone, the founder of Polarity Therapy. 

Licorice root
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), often used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, provides most of the Polarity Tea's adaptogenic properties and helps to stabilize blood sugar. Licorice root contains glycyrrhizic acid, which has been shown to regulate the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis, increasing cortisol production and inhibiting the breakdown of cortisol. In addition, licorice root is a demulcent (soothes irritation of mucus membranes) and expectorant (helps clear mucus from the lungs), making it beneficial for treating coughs and sore throats. One cautionary note about licorice is that it may increase blood pressure and water retention, so its use should be avoided by those with hypertension and/or edema.

Fennel seeds
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) seeds are often chewed after meals in India to prevent gas, cramps, and bloating and to stimulate digestion. Fennel is also a mild expectorant.
Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is a demulcent and is soothing to the digestive system, improving digestion and acting as a mild laxative. The seeds release mucilage when eaten, which forms a protective coating and reduces inflammation and heartburn. It has been used traditionally in the treatment of coughs and bronchitis. Fenugreek has also been used to control cholesterol levels and to support sugar metabolism, which helps with hypoglycemia.

Flax seeds
Flax seed (Linum usitatissimum) helps to regulate blood sugar and is soothing to the digestive system, acting as a natural anti-inflammatory.

Polarity Tea can be used on its own or as part of a detoxification routine (see future posts for the Polarity Purification Diet!), and the recommended dose is 2 cups per day. Because licorice can increase blood pressure and may lead to water retention and low potassium levels, it is best to not use this tea over the long term and to limit use to a few weeks at a time.

Recipe
1 oz. Licorice root (pieces)
1 oz. Fennel seed
1 oz. Fenugreek seed
2 oz. Flax seed

Preparation
Mix the dry ingredients together and bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Take 1 tsp. of the mixture and add it to the water, reducing it to a simmer for 15 minutes. The liquid will reduce by about half. Strain and drink. The recommended dosage is 2 cups per day.

Variations
  • Peppermint may be added to the tea to increase the beneficial effects on digestion. When the other herbs are done simmering, turn off the heat and add 1 oz. of dried peppermint leaves.  Just let the tea steep for several minutes before straining and serving.
  • Try adding fresh ginger to increase circulation and improve digestion. Take 1-2 inches fresh ginger root and add it to the water with the other herbs and simmer.
  • Fresh lemon juice, ginger juice, and honey can be added when serving the tea to enhance the flavor, but never use sugar.
  • For constipation use extra licorice and add fresh garlic. For diarrhea remove the licorice and add cinnamon bark instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment