Thursday, August 23, 2012

Space - the Ether Element

Lately I've been feeling the need to create more space in my life. This has resulted from feeling like I don't ever have enough time to do all the things that I want to do in a day, and feeling like I can't breathe in my own life. I fantasize about wide open fields and great vistas, and my dreams of late have reflected this imagery as well.

The Space (Ether) element is one of the most important elements to keep in balance. Without space none of the other elements (Air, Fire, Water, and Earth) are able to exist. Energy steps down from Source (Ether) to form (Earth), and the other elements represent phases of that process. Without enough space for the Air element, we might feel like we can't breathe, like we're being suffocated by aspects of our life, or like our thinking is stagnant and constricted.

A lack of space for the Fire element is likely to make us feel like our fire has been extinguished because the fire has no space to burn, or we can't get motivated because there's simply not enough space to move forward.

When space is deficient, our Water element may become all consuming or overflowing because we can't contain it all in the amount of space that we have. Or perhaps our creative, sexual, or emotional life is at a standstill.

The Earth element reacts to a lack of space by becoming more rigid and compacted. Our schedules might become inflexible and we may feel financially limited, or unable to grow because the earth around us has no space for aeration.

Finally, a lack of Space affects our relationship to Spirit. Without enough of the Ether element we are too focused on the material aspects of life, feeling disconnected from our spiritual path and possibly feeling like there is no guidance from the universe or a higher power.

There are two main approaches that I've considered for creating more space in my life: one is to address the issue from the perspective of the Ether element, and the other is to turn to it's opposite and handle the issue with a purely physical approach.

Starting with Ether, I know that my lack of space has more to do with the way that I perceive my life than it has to do with an actual lack of time and space. I don't make enough time for my spiritual practice, which is the very thing that helps me to keep everything in perspective and feel grateful for each moment. When I take the time to meditate and turn toward Spirit, I begin to see my life with an attitude of abundance and gratitude. Instead of constriction I feel freedom; I feel satisfied with my blessings and open to new opportunities as they arise.

Starting from the physical, Earthy side of things, I know that clearing out clutter and old junk from my home is also a wonderful way to increase the feeling of space in my life, and that this will affect my emotional, mental, and energetic experience as well. I can rearrange my furniture to create more space and flow in my surroundings, put things away where they belong and get rid of things I no longer use or need, take care of long-standing projects around the house, and focus on clearing things from my to-do list. All of these things detract from my energetic well-being and add to the clutter of my mind, emotions, and energy body.

Whether I use Ether or Earth to deal with my lack of space, I know that I will begin to feel better almost immediately. I think I'll do a little of both.

1 comment:

  1. Great information being imparted to us by your this site. Thank you and I appreciate your effort on this field.

    ReplyDelete